Monday, June 30, 2014

Quickies

As mentioned previously, I find it helpful to have a couple of activities in mind in case someone in the family suddenly asks for a game (even if the request is sometimes signaled indirectly by poking a sibling). Usually, this doesn't mean a full and rich exploration of a topic, but it can be a brief introduction or a continuation of something we've played with before.

Here are two more NRICH activities that fit that:


Jate got to play a little with the chain of changes tonight while I was helping Jin with some homework.  I didn't have time to make or print pieces, so instead we used our mini-wipe board. I drew a collection of "allowed" shapes (square, triangle, circle, pentagon) in four colors (red, blue, green, black) and asked him to make a 4 step chain from blue square to black circle. Then I asked if he could make a one-step chain from the blue square to the black circle.  Then I asked how many of those he could make.  After that, he started adding his own shapes to the selections, so he got to set the tone and practice drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment