Where: our stairs
When: permanently (ha!)
J2's school has a set of stairs used by the kids with numbers posted on each step. I finally realized we could copy this at home. It has been great fun for each of them, in slightly different ways:
- J3 feels like these are "her" numbers. Everyone else has told her we made them for her and the sense of ownership makes her pay a lot of attention to them.
- J2 really likes having numbers and shapes posted around the house, so he is the one who is encouraging us to continue to the top floor.
- J1 likes taking J3 on a tour of the numbers and admiring the pictures. He also likes coming up with new things to add (like writing a related number expression)
- They all like talking about the ones they made and their contribution to the project
- Start with zero
- Be open to a lot of interesting number and shape conversations while making the cards.
- Do it! if you don't have stairs, make it into a horizontal number line on the walls.
|J2 almost finished decorating the 12 card|
|Cards in situ, ready to be enjoyed|
|Detail of the 8 Card: such craftsmanship!|